Varicose veins are a condition that affects many people, causing pain, discomfort, and unsightly veins. At Spark Medical Group, we understand that varicose veins can make it difficult to enjoy daily activities and can even cause sleep disruption. Here, we will discuss the causes of varicose veins and the latest treatments available to relieve pain and improve your overall vascular health.
What Causes Varicose Veins?
Varicose veins are enlarged, twisted veins that appear blue or purple and bulge beneath the skin’s surface. These veins are often found in the legs, as blood vessels in this area must work against gravity to pump blood back to the heart. As a result, blood pools in the veins, causing them to stretch and become swollen.
Several factors can contribute to the development of varicose veins, including genetic predisposition, pregnancy, obesity, and prolonged periods of standing or sitting. Individuals with a history of blood clots or a family history of varicose veins are also at an increased risk.
Common Symptoms of Varicose Veins
Varicose veins can cause a variety of symptoms, including:
- Bulging veins
- Aching, heavy, and uncomfortable legs
- Swollen feet and ankles
- Burning or throbbing in legs
- Muscle cramps in legs, particularly at night
- Dry, itchy, and thin skin over the affected vein
Many individuals with varicose veins experience pain that impacts daily activities, including difficulty walking, prolonged standing or sitting, and restless leg syndrome that can impact sleep quality.
Effective Treatments for Varicose Veins
At Spark Medical Group, our vascular specialists provide an array of treatments tailored to each patient’s unique needs and lifestyle. Below are some of the treatments we offer to alleviate the discomfort and pain caused by varicose veins:
- Sclerotherapy: This treatment involves injecting a solution into the affected vein, causing it to shrink and eventually disappear over time.
- Radiofrequency or endothermal ablation: This procedure involves the use of heat applied to the affected vein through a small tube inserted into the vein.
- Micro-Phlebectomy: This treatment involves the removal of small or medium varicose veins through small incisions in the skin.
- Venoplasty and Stenting: This treatment restores blood flow to the vein by inserting a tiny tube with a balloon attached that, when inflated, widens the vein. A stent may be inserted to keep the vein open after the procedure.
Our team of vascular specialists also uses innovative treatments such as Venaseal, Clarivein, and Varithena, which are minimally invasive and offer a faster recovery time.
Varicose veins are a common condition that affects many individuals, causing pain and discomfort. However, with the right treatment, symptoms can be relieved, and overall vascular health can be improved. At Spark Medical Group, we use advanced treatments tailored to each patient’s unique needs to help them get back to doing the things they love without pain or discomfort. Schedule an appointment with one of our specialists today and let us help you feel better from the inside out.